Monday, December 15, 2008

Cookie Baking

In order to help us get in the Christmas spirit, I decided that Emma and I should make sugar cookies. It sounded simple enough, but then again, we're in Belgium.

So, it was sunday morning(ish), and I leave the house to go pick up some flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda, before I meet up with Okey to go to "brunch" (we were meeting at 3). FAIL.

Almost every supermarket in the area was closed except for a GB express which did not have vanilla or flour. So I picked up a bag of what looked like flour, except it was specially made for bread and muffins. I figured that there was already baking soda in it, and that was the difference, (figured being the key word as the bag was in Dutch).

I get to Emma's and we use a glass casarole dish and tinfoil to cook the cookies on, as we have no cookie sheet (yes, I realize I used the word cook or cookie way too many times). But we simply go for it.

Round one:
the "dough" looked like play-dough that had been left out in the open for about a day. It was crumbly and dry. We tried baking one batch with this dough, and after the tops burned and the insides were raw, we (well I), decided that it simply needed more butter and sugar.

Round two:
I may have overdone it with the butter. The cookies were really, really gooey and they were not hardening when taken out of the oven and put on the rack. We (well I), decided to add a little more flour.

Round three:
The most successful round, they really looked like cookies on the top, however underneath they were a little bit, uncookie-like. However, they still tasted pretty good (you can't really go THAT wrong when combing eggs, sugar and butter).

Now I just have to get rid of these cookies before I really make myself ill and eat them all.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Why does this remind me of every single time we've ever cooked anything.... ever.

Unknown said...

We tend to be better at mixing drinks vs. ingredients.

Unknown said...

lol - i made cookies this weekend too!!! :)

Unknown said...

Great minds timmy...great minds

Sara said...

Your cookie baking sounds a bit like the time I first helped make thanksgiving dinner for myself and some roommates. It was, er, interesting...

Cookie baking is on my list for next weekend. Starting with Jane's favorite lime cookies (just in case she's reading the comments). :)

At least your oven works. My element is slowly going out and the $%^&**(@ thing takes 3x as long to cook as it should.

Unknown said...

haha love it...MY oven doesn't really work: when I put anything in it, everything smells like fire. Thank goodness for Emma's wonderful flat!