Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dirty Dirty Ghent (two completly seperate events)

Today was wonderful...I woke up early and Emma and I went to Ghent (see slide show in the right hand column of this page). The best thing about our day trip was A. it cost only 8 euros for the train ticket and B. it was a beautiful sunny day.

Ghent is probably the cutest town ever. It has old cathedrals and a canal, not to mention an H&M that looks as though it is from the 1800's (I bought some very cute sweaters).

HOWEVER, today's BIG triumph came later. (background). Emma and I love to go dancing. We enjoy a night out where we burn as many calories as we drink (maybe). We therefore found a dance club that we call "stumbling distance" from our apartments. It is called "Dirty Dancing" and it is the "hottest night club in Brussels". Now this purposed a problem, because as it was "hot stuff", it became super pretentious and decided not to let anyone in that did not know someone with an "Access Card", and the only way to get an "Access Card" was to know someone with an "Access Card". (It's sort of a catch 22 there, and sort of difficult to get around). So, Emma and I decide that we are GETTING IN to this club as it is so close to where we live, so we get dressed up in our very nice outfits and get there early.

Here's the truth: as beer is normally sold out of vending machines here, I don't believe that there is a drinking age, seriously, as long as you can punch in the number you can drink here. So Emma (who is an old woman at 26 years old) and I were honestly old ladies (I'm 22). So we go to the door of the club, and realized that THEY (as in the institution) did not want us in. There was just one problem, if you do not want mousy browned haired girls, with confidence disproportionate to their looks and skill entering your club, especially if their name is Philippa Wood, do NOT have a homosexual man as your bouncer.

Seriously.

Conversation: "Hi, we really wanted to get in to your club"

(Bouncer) "Yea, that is not possible tonight, we are full"
(us): "No, we REALLY want to dance and have some drinks and have a good time, ... please?"
(bouncer): "No"
(Us): "Look, we're two American girls who live nearby, and we want to dance...please let us in?"
(Bouncer): "Wait two minutes, I need to talk to my boss"
.....
(Bouncer, back from inside): " Look, I talked to my boss and the thing is, you may not like the people or the music, but, I really, really like your shoes (points at my ridiculous heels with a pointy tip)...so, I'm going to let you in"
(us)..."What's your name?.." (as in we have a new best friend)

...
Moral, if you open a club and you don't want to let old (by old I mean older than 19 years old) girls in who have AMAZING taste in shoes and who's confidence is once again completely disproportionate to their looks and ability (thank you Tina Fey), do NOT hire homosexual men as your bouncers.

Regardless, today was wonderful.

2 comments:

Mike said...

this is HILARIOUS. I love everything about it.

eshupe said...

legitimately, i love this story.

well done.