Friday, January 9, 2009

To Stay or Not to Stay

Eurodad has a strict 6 month policy when it comes to Interns, that worked very well for me, and therefore as my six months are coming up at the beginning of Feb. (the 3rd to be exact), I have been making some great plans to do absolutely nothing but hang out with family and friends once I got home. However, Alex, the Director of Eurodad, has asked me to stay an extra month.

Now, I was planning on sitting around and waiting for the Peace Corps to send me somewhere during the month of February. There was some skiing tucked in there, along with eating out of my mother’s fully stocked fridge. However, now that his opportunity has arrived, I’m torn between hanging out with my family (before I ditch them for 27th months) or working in Brussels a little bit longer.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd say do what feels right ...

If you really are enjoying the job now, then stay with that ... but also keep in mind that you might want at least a slight vacation between working full time and going off to the peace corps.

Unknown said...

I agree with Timmy. When should you hear from the Peace Corps? When would you be sent away? Do you want to stay for another month? Can your body bear the icy cold?

Unknown said...

I COULD technically stay...the earliest I'd be sent away would be March so.....

Also Emma and I found a GREAT local (The Gutenberg) that is super near and beer is cheap and that helps with the cold (even though the one street to get there is usually covered with about 1/2 inch of ice... but u know if it wasn't a challenging adventure to get there, would I really appreciate it? (esp. the cute old men who pay with change! LOVE IT).

Mike said...

This is indeed a dilemma. How many more opportunities will you have to work in Brussels, though? Do you feel like your time there is over or would leaving now seem like an abrupt ending? hmmm... Let your inner Iceland guide you.

ALEX (best sister) said...

i think you should come home, spend a little time with me so that i can see you before you leave and i dont see you until im in COLLEGE ps took the SATs today SUPER funnn
back to you though, youve been planning to leave this whole time after 6 months, and i think nick and especially mom would like to see you and ski with them, and plus mom likes skiing with you more cause nick is too good, and do you really want to have such a short turn over before the peace corps(and/or the other job with god knows where)??

Sara said...

When else are you going to be able to take a month off to relax, eat your mom's food and play?

The last time that happened to me was 11 years ago - just before I took my first "real" job.

I say, take the month off.